Thursday, November 15, 2012

Dead Head

There are few television shows I love more than The Walking Dead.  Nothing gets me more fired up than seeing a “walker” take an axe to the dome and watching the ensuing explosion of over-the-top blood and brains.  I can’t help but to laugh and cringe at the same time.  Sadistic?  Perhaps a touch, but isn’t that sadistic streak prerequisite for enjoying a show about reanimated corpses shambling around and feasting on human flesh?  I digress, the point is I watch the show and enjoy it – probably too much.

Zombies now stalk me in my dreams while I search for shelter from their hordes.  I know; it’s ridiculous, yet, there they are in my sleep every Monday night after I watch The Walking Dead on my Zune season pass.  I am constantly teaming up with other survivors to find a safe haven and build up defenses so we aren’t eaten alive.  You’d think I’d get sick of waking up multiple times in the night in a cold sweat and peeking at the closet like a 6 year old who’s afraid of boogeyman-shaped shadows in the dark, but I can’t help watching every week, hungry for more zombie mayhem.
Seriously, dude? That's just fucking lazy.

My obsession for the show has permeated through my family, infecting my children first, and then finally my wife. My wife liking the show is the last thing I expected. First, she hates being scared and second, she had seen pieces of a couple episodes previously and made comments such as “how can you sit through this crap” and “are you serious with letting our kids watch this”. After ignoring her (like usual) and continuing to watch it with our children week after week, she finally decided to sit down and watch her first full episode. That was all it took. Now we are a happy family full of zombie-addicted Dead-Heads (not the Jerry Garcia kind).

If you like action, The Walking Dead is your ticket. If you like drama, The Walking Dead is your ticket. If you like watching zombies die in a myriad of exciting ways, The Walking Dead is your ticket. If you want to be a part of the “next big thing” in pop culture, The Walking Dead is your ticket. If you want good, wholesome family fun, The Walking Dead probably shouldn’t be your ticket, but if you’re family is as perverse as mine, The Walking Dead is your ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment